11. Towns and County Names

Named after the Indian Chief Alloway. The early name was Thompson’s Bridge, in honor of Benjamin Thompson who was in charge of the Wistarburg Glass plant nearby. Then it became Allowaystown, a name it bore until 1882, when it was contracted to Alloway. At least two shipyards were located on the creek near Alloway in the early 1800’s, and at that time the town supported two flourishing hotels and a number of stores. At various dates the village contained a grist mill, canning factory, bark mill, a chair and brush manufactory, as well as a number of saw mills, grist mills and fulling mills on nearby ponds.

(spelled many ways in old deeds and surveys) It has been defined as that section of Elsinboro lying south of Salem between Yorke Street and Oak Street roads. Two-thirds of the tract lay in Elsinboro, the remainder in Lower Alloways Creek Township, the line running obliquely across the tract. The tract originally consisted of 2,000 acres. Where the name came from is not known, but there is a possibility it could have been a variation of Aldmonsbury, as shown in a deed from John Fenwick to Edward Champney, late of Aldmonsbury, Co of Gloucester, joiner and wife Priscilla, for 2,000 acres in Fenwick’s Colony.

Artificial Island
Man-made island in the Delaware River off the mouth of Alloway Creek finished in 1904 – the purpose was to divert the full force of the tidal flow of the river into the ship channel in order to deepen that channel, as well as to reduce the frequency of shoals. The island comprises 536 acres. A line of relics of the First World War ships were sunk there as a protective barrier for pipe line dredging by the Army Corp of Engineers. It is now the site of the PSEG nuclear power plants.

In the south eastern part of the township on Oldman’s Creek. The original name was Lockerton. It later became known as Sculltown in honor of Gideon Scull, Jr. who engaged in the mercantile business there. The village at one time contained a coal yard, a blacksmith shop, and several stores. During the summer season tug boats ran between there and Philadelphia carrying shipments of produce.

Lower Alloway Creek Township – formally known as New Canton. In earlier times it was possible for vessels to pass directly to the village of Canton, and as late as 1883, Stow Creek was navigable to a landing within two miles of the village. A great amount of cord wood was shipped to Philadelphia from this point.

Carney’s Point
A part was called Bouttown in Upper Penns Neck Township and was a Dutch settlement years before Fenwick came. An Indian deed to Tab Janssen Outhout dated 1664/5 is still on record. The Indian name for the tract was Hoppenmense. First called West Fenwick and later Penn’s Neck as a compliment to Governor Penn, an early copy of the Pennsylvania Gazette states that in 1727 many Irish immigrants arrived in New Castle and Philadelphia. Among them was Thomas Carney who purchased a large tract of land which extended from the Delaware River between the mouths of Bout Creek on the east and Handbey Creek on the west, back to Game Creek.

Cat Gut and Kitten Gut – Lower Alloways Creek Township
Cat Gut and its feeder Kitten Gut, are small steams on the north shore of Mad Horse Creek, leading to Round Island

Pittsgrove Township This was a small village on Muddy Run and formally called Centreville. An even earlier name was Dayton’s Bridge. The Centerton Inn has been in existence since early colonial times and was one of the stage-coach stops on the road from Greenwich to Philadelphia. The village at one time contained a grist mill, saw mill, blacksmith shop and wagon shop.

Church Landing later called Churchtown
Lower Penn’s Neck Township (Pennsville) As the name suggests, this is the site of the St. George’s Episcopal Church which is the third church on the site built by the Swedes and Finns. A few hundred yards down the road in front of the church is the spot on the Delaware River where the early Lutheran settlers crossed by boat to New Castle and Christiana before St. George’s was built as a log building.

Mannington Township; A small village of African Americans just north of Salem across Fenwick Creek was at one time the terminus of the W.J. & S.S. railroad. In early times it contained three stores, a blacksmith shop and a wheelwright shop. There was a windmill erected before the Revolution. It was the site of a disastrous fire in 1942 that destroyed 24 homes and severely damaged many others.

Cobb’s Mill
Alloway Township located on the cross-road between the Alloway-Friesburg Road and the Peck Corner-Cohansey Road was formerly known as Dilks’ Mill. Its lakeside location is said to have been an early Indian camp.

Alloway Township, formally known as New Boston or Applegate’s Corner. Cohansey is at the junction of Salem and Cumberland Counties, on the Shiloh-Friesburg road. It had a general store, a mill, a blacksmith shop and a poultry market.

Commissioner’s Road or Pike
Alloway Township – Road leading from Alloway to Mullica Hill, it is one of the oldest in the county.

Compromise Road
Mannington Township. The road leads east from the Salem-Woodstown Road. At the junction with the Swedes Bridge Road stands what was Compromise School. The name is said to be a “compromise” over the placing of the school. Also called Jesse Bond Road because it went past the home of the schoolmaster by that name. The house was built in 1751 by Richard Brick.

Cool Run
Cool Run seems to have been a popular name for localities in Salem County. In the 1680’s Hazlehurst’s saw mill was located on Cool Run in Alloway Township.

Upper Pittsgrove Township. A very early settlement and post town, named after the Dare family. The town is noted for the Presbyterian Church established in 1741 and the former Pittsgrove College. After the arrival of the railroad, the town grew greatly and contained at one time a blacksmith shop, a machine shop and a distillery.

Deepwater Point
As the name implies, this is one of the deepest points along the Delaware River and is now part of DuPont Chambers Works. The tract of 540 acres was owned by Henry Jeans, whose wife Mary was the daughter of Thomas Carney for whom Carneys Point is named.

Elsinboro Township. Situated between Hancock’s Bridge road and the end of Walnut Street Road. The story goes that the locality was given this name by Dr. David Wiley, who stated that the great number of dogs in the vicinity interfered with his visits to patients

Elmer is the dividing line between Pittsgrove and Upper Pittsgrove townships and is situated on Elmer Lake and Muddy Run. No community in the county has had more names; the earliest one was Ticktown, then Pittstown and now Elmer. At one time it was nicknamed Terrapintown. Incorporated as a borough in 1893 it was named either for Dr. Ebenezer Elmer who owned the land or his son Judge Lucius Elmer. At various times it has contained a glass works, shoe factory, a spindle factory, a grist mill constructed at an early date of cedar logs; and the old red tavern. It was a railroad point of some importance.

The precinct of Elsinboro was the smallest in the Colony contained only 800 acres. The Indian name for the locality was Wootessunsing. The English continued the Swedish Elsborg or Helsingborg (spelled many ways) by which name the Swedes called their fort built in 1643. In this area it is thought the first English settlement was made by the New Haven Colony.

Featherbed Lane
Elsinboro Township. A short stretch of road between the Oakwood Beach Road and Amwelbury, said in the old days to have been a particularly bad piece of road, and called, in derision, Featherbed Lane. There is also a Featherbed Lane in Pilesgrove Township.

Finn’s Point
One of three forts built by the Swedes on the eastern shore of the Delaware: Ft. Elfsborg 1643, Lampan’s Houck (Finn’s Point) and Raccoon Creek (Gloucester County)

Ft. Mott
Lower Penn’s Neck Township. A peaceful fort, from which no hostile shot was ever fired. It is one of three built to protect the city of Philadelphia and surrounding territory. It was named for Major Gershom Mott who was a general in the Civil War.

Alloway Township was founded in 1748 named in honor of Jacob Fries, who emigrated from Germany and was a leader in the community and an elder and benefactor of the Emanuel Lutheran Church. It was quite an important settlement. At the intersection of the road below the church stood the Vanlier blacksmith shop, saw-mill, creamery, general store and post office. Some of the workers from Wistarburg glass plant who were also German lived there.

Gallows Hill
Mannington Township On the outskirts of Claysville, on the right, was a spot called Gallows Hill, the scene of a hanging and burning at the stake in 1717.

Glebe Farm
Pilesgrove Township. On the road from Woodstown to Kings Highway, now called Marlton Road, stands the Glebe, of 117 acres, purchased in 1720 by the Swedish congregations of Raccoon (now Swedesboro) and Penn’s Neck, for the use of their minister. The spot was considered approximately half-way between the two farms.

Hancock’s Bridge
Lower Alloway Creek Township. Noted as a fishing and trapping section it at one time contained canning operations, blacksmith and wheelwright shops, stores and a tavern. It is the home of the Hancock House, well known as the scene of the British massacre in 1778. Here also was a Friends Meeting House, the first part of which was built in 1756. It was named for John Hancock whose house is now part of the state park system. A road was laid out in 1709 from Salem to Greenwich by way of John Hancock’s Bridge.

Lower Alloway Creek Township this community was originally called Logtown and was the site of both a Presbyterian and a Methodist Church. The village was later given the name of Jaggers Corners, after a blacksmith of that name, whose shop stood in the angle of the roads. As the settlement grew, the name was again changed to Harmersville in honor of Ebenezer Harmer, who married a woman of property, located here about 1845 and opened a store. At one time there were two stores, two blacksmiths, a machinist, a wheelwright, an undertaker, a cabinet maker, a shoe cobbler and a creamery located there.

Quinton Township A school district on the Jericho road formerly called Tattletown.

Lower Penn’s Neck Township Better known by the undignified name of Pig’s Eye located about two miles from Salem on the Pennsville Road

Helm’s Cove
Upper Penn’s Neck Township. South Penn’s Grove, formally Helm’s Grove, is a much older business place than Penn’s Grove itself. It was named after Andrew Helms, who owned land and kept a tavern, and who also, in the 1770’s ran a ferry from this point to Wilmington. At one time the village contained stores, a ship-yard and a public landing, as well as blacksmith and wheelwright shops. Gill fishing was an industry, as was shad fishing. The place became part of the borough of Penn’s Grove in 1894.

Quinton Township. This once thriving community was located one mile north of Jericho in the general direction of Peck’s Corner and Woods Upper Mill; Maskell’s Mill to the west and Marlboro to the southeast. It was settled in 1872 by Jacob and Matthias Hepner, who ran a steam saw-mill, and who were so busy chopping away at the virgin forest that it was necessary to run their mill in shifts for two years. They made barrel hoops, split out of small trees. In addition to a saw mill and store, there were workmen’s houses. Nothing remains of this village.

Elsinboro Township Col Benjamin Holme built his substantial house not far from the river in 1750. It was pillaged and burned by the British in 1778, together with his ferry house, from which he ran a ferry across the Delaware River. It was rebuilt and a larger part added in 1784.

Ivy Point or Ivey Point
Salem City On the west side of Bridge Street (now Market St.) John Fenwick in 1676 built a brick home. It was torn down in 1830. Some of his daughters may have also had homes at Ivey Point.

Kings Highway
The principal towns of West Jersey prior to 1700 were Burlington and Salem, the county seats of the respective counties. In November, 1681, the General Assembly, recognizing the importance of a road between these towns, directed that a highway be surveyed. The road was called “The Great Road from Burlington and Salem” and formed a part of the Perth Amboy road. About 1702, the road became known as “The King’s Highway until after the Revolutionary War, when the name became generally lost. The road followed a tortuous course through Salem County, the exact route of which is still being determined.

Mad Horse Creek
A stream running into the Delaware River north of Stow Creek. It received its name, according to Lower Creek tradition, from the fact that farmers, years ago, turned their spare horses and cattle out to pasture on Round Island and Ragged Island and left them for long periods. At one time a disease developed and the cattle and horses went wild. From that came the name Mad Horse Creek. Some of the small streams that thread through these marshes had some interesting names for example: Alder Cove; Butler’s Gut; Cat and Kitten Gut; Eagle Island, Fishing Creek; Goose Pond; Grog Gut; Ragged Island; Round Island, Terrapin Gut.

Major’s Run
A branch of Salem Creek which is the dividing line between Pilesgrove and Mannington townships. Some say that Fenwick, from his nearby manor house, traveled this steam in his barge.

Mannington Hill
When Mannington Creek was navigable, vessels landed at Mannington Hill, where there was quite a settlement of houses, a general merchandise store, a shoemaker, a tavern, and blacksmith and wheelwright shops.

Called Mannington Precinct or Manning’s Town in early days. It is said to be named for an Indian Chief Maneto or Manning. It was part of what was called East Fenwick and contained 28,000 acres.

On the dividing line between Quinton Township and Cumberland County. It received its name from the rich marl deposits found there. The neighborhood has several marl beds, and the deep excavations show where a great amount of marl, formally used as fertilizer was dug.

Mannington Township off the Mannington Causeway An African American community this cross roads spot at one time contained two stores, a post office, several dwellings and two churches. It was named for Thomas Marshall who opened a small store in 1839.

Meadow Banks
According to county records, 71 meadow banks have, at different times, been organized in Salem County for the protections of meadows and uplands from the tides. 5 were in Salem City, 8 in Elsinboro; 14 in Lower Alloway Creek; 1 in Upper Alloway Creek; 18 in Mannington: 17 in Lower Penn’s Neck; 8 in Upper Penn’s Neck. Among the first was the Stony Island Meadow Co. in 1794. Stony Island was near to Salem Creek where the first bridge crossed the Trap Causeway to Salem.

Upper Pittsgrove Township. This village, in the eastern section of the county, was named for the Rev. Samuel Y. Monroe, and is sometimes known by the railroad name of Monroe Station. At one time it contained a creamery, a blacksmith shop and a cigar factory on Scott’s Corner

Moore’s Corner or Dick Moore’s Corner
Elsinboro Township – An African American community at the junction of Hancock’s Bridge Road and the road to Amwelbury. It was named for Richard Moore, a former resident. Born in Maryland in 1801, he was a steward on the Major Reybold for several years but he was best known for the hominy he sold on the streets of Salem.

New Albion
In 1632, Sir Edmund Plowden, an Irishman, was granted a tract of land by King Charles I, which included New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Long Island. He had grandiose plans for settling his colony, and “Watsesett,” as this vicinity was called, was leased to Sir Thomas Danby. Sir Thomas planned to build a town and manor of Danby Fort in this section. Sir Edmund visited his possessions in 1642, but immediately ran into difficulty with the Swedes here. After a series of hardships in the County, he returned to

England and the venture gradually died.

New Haven Colony
In 1640, a company of colonist from New Haven landed in this vicinity (it is thought in Elsinboro) and was the first English to settle in this county. They erected a block-house, trading post and a number of small homes. Their venture did not last long, as they encountered trouble with the Swedes and Dutch, and some historians claim an epidemic among them depleted their number to a great extent. What really happened to them is a matter of conjecture. It is claimed that a few may have remained on their small farms.

Nikomus Run (various spellings)
Pilesgrove Township. Thomas Yorke of England, purchased, in 1687, 500 acres on Necomus Run, a part of Fenwick’s Grove, then known as White’s Vineyard. 1698, Nov. 6 Deed. Benjamin Acton, of Salem County, weaver to Thomas Elwell, late of New England, now Salem Town, weaver for 110 acres on Nicomusses Branch, at the upper end of Obranceses old field, adjoining Thomas Pile, part of the 1500 acre tract bought of William Hall and wife April 29, 1695. Nikomus Run empties into Salem Creek near Sharptown.

One of the early Jewish settlements in the southeastern part of the township of Pittsgrove. The Russian Jews that settled there called it Alliance. The early railroad name was Bradway Station.

Oakwood Beach
Elsinboro Township. The sandy beach along the shore of the Delaware River was a popular spot long before it became well-known as a local summer resort. The first cottages were built in the 1890’s. A pavilion and dance hall became an attraction and two country clubs and golf fields were established.

Lower Penn’s Neck Township. Obisquahassit was the Indian name for a large section of West Fenwick, or Lower Penn’s Neck, but also applies to the Sinnickson plantation. About the year 1645, Andreas Sinnickson (name spelled various ways) purchased a large tract of land from the natives. After Fenwick’s arrival in 1675, Sinnickson secured from the new proprietor a quit-claim of his tract in consideration of payment of a yearly rental of 3 shillings. Descendants of the first settler are still in possession of a portion of the ancestral tract.

The name Obisquahassit in the language of the Indians meant by the muddy waters. The house, built in 1740 by Andrew Sinnickson is located on what was formerly known as Fenwick Point, overlooking Salem Creek.

Oldman’s Creek
This body of water, which separates Pilesgrove and Oldman’s township from Gloucester County, has had various names. An old survey for Thomas Pyle of his 10,000 acres calls it Masackey – to be called Berkley’s River. The Indians called it Masassacus. Fenwick called it Berkeley River. The Swedes called it Kagkikanizacklens Sippus or Alderman’s Ku.

Oldman’s Township
The Township was created in 1881, when it was set off from Upper Penn’s Neck. It contains 11,782 acres. The original purchase price of land here was low, The price Roger Pedrick paid for 1,000 acres was 5 pounds. This tract included the present village of Pedricktown. (see Pedricktown)

Pittsgrove Township. This farming section near Centerton was originally part of Broad Neck, the school district being known by that name. Olivet was a circuit in the Methodist Conference, which included the Elmer, Friendship and other churches.

Pittsgrove Township. This fertile farming district is said to have been settled by Dutch and German families, who raised much produce, especially potatoes, which were shipped out by railroad. There are still large potato farms in the area.

The Park
Pilesgrove Township. This was the name of the plantation of the Sharp family. About 1730, Isaac Sharp emigrated from Ireland to America and took possession of 600 acres of land at Blessington, later called Sharptown. Here he erected a house, the frame of which, it is said, he brought from Ireland. The site of his house was known for many years as The Park due to a large deer park he maintained.

Parvin State Park
Site of an old saw-mill owned by Lemuel Parvin, the site was purchased by the State of New Jersey and established as a State Park in 1931.

Peck’s Corner
Quinton Township This cross-roads vicinity on the Quinton-Bridgeton pike received its name from a character named William or Bill Peck. It is said that after the death of Dr. Thomas Peck, his widow and son Bill moved to the Half-way house. Bill was something of a character, tramping bare-foot through the country side. Although he wore shoes in the winter, he preferred them with the toes cut out.

Oldman’s Township. First known as Pedricksburg, this, the largest village in the township, was named in honor of the pioneer, Roger Pedrick. The town is situated in the midst of a rich farming section. Nearby, at one time, were valuable beds or marl. 1,000 acres were surveyed to Pedrick June 17, 1682.

Penn’s Grove
Upper Penn’s Neck Township. The name Penn’s Grove was given to the small village on the Delaware early in the 1800’s. It has been stated that prior to 1829 there was but one house; most of the activity taking place in Helm’s Cove, a mile south along the river, where there was a ship-yard and a tavern. Due largely to the fishing industry including sturgeon, it started to grow, and canning and other factories were established. Many freight boats were engaged in carrying farm produce from there to Wilmington and Philadelphia markets. In 1894 Helms Cove became part of Penn’s Grove and the whole incorporated as a borough in 1902. The expansion of DuPont added to the growth in the early 1900s. There were two disastrous fires one in the late 1890’s or early 1900’s and the second on March 1, 1932. The center of town, at Main and Broad was known as “Dogtown Corner.”

Penn’s Neck Canal
This man-made waterway runs through the upper point of Lower Penn’s Neck and a small section of Upper Penn’s Neck. As early as 1770, a subscription paper was in existence for the digging of a canal, but nothing came of it. In 1800 another effort was made and a charter was granted by the legislature to the Penn’s Neck Canal Company, but not sufficient stock could be sold to finance the project. In 1831 another effort failed. Finally, in 1868, digging was started and the dam, cutting off Salem Creek, built. After a cave-in which necessitated a second cut, the work was finally accomplished. The canal, two miles long, began at a point on Salem Creek about one-half mile below Hawks’ Bridge and flowed into the Delaware River between what is now DuPont Chambers Works and the former Atlantic City Electric Co. Plant. The purpose of the canal was to provide a short cut to the river for the farms up-stream, and for many years tons of produce, especially tomatoes, were sent to market through this canal. The Canal is now the property of the DuPont Company

Lower Penn’s Neck Township. Former names- Kinseyville and Craven’s Ferry. From the earliest history of the county, a ferry ran from this point to New Castle, it being one of the shortest distances across the river. In 1800 a regular ferry service was established and a stage line operated to Salem. Richard Craven was the owner of the stage and landlord of the hotel at the ferry. A post office was established at Craven’s Ferry in 1826. For many years Pennsville contained a thriving shad-fishing and canning industry. A hotel and surrounding park, known as Silver Grove (so-named for the silver maples flourishing there) was, for many years, a favorite recreation spot. The park was greatly enlarged and became known as the Riverview Amusement Park.

Penton and Penton Abbey
Alloway Township – Named in honor of Daniel Penton a former well known resident. The village is known chiefly for its brick-yards – an early one being established by Jacob Thackra, a later one by John Bee and yet a later one by Smith Sickler. It is stated the village was named Guineatown by Burton Penton, who died there about 1795. It was named Penton with the establishment of the post office. Situated on Alloway Creek on the continuation of the road east out of Penton. William Penton received from John Fenwick 500 acres of land later known as Penton Abbey. William and Daniel Penton lived on part of the original 500 acres.

In one record it is written that the name came from Thomas Pile (or Pyle) another James Pile who purchased 10,000 acres in 1682. The township originally contained 84,000 acres, but was reduced in area by the formation of Pittsgrove about the time of the Revolutionary War.

Set off from Piles Grove and named in honor of Sir William Pitt the famous English statesman and orator, before he accepted the Earldom of Chatham. It was set off from Pilesgrove in 1769 and was incorporated in 1798. Part was annexed to Cumberland County but was restored in 1868.

Pole Tavern
Upper Pittsgrove Township – derived its name, so it is said, from the fact that a liberty pole, supposed to be the first one erected in New Jersey, stood in the center of the village in front of the tavern, which was the scene of much activity at the outbreak of the Revolutionary War. The first regularly equipped military company of Salem County was organized here. At one time the village contained stores, a blacksmith shop, a tannery, and a small arsenal where Revolutionary guns were stored. The tavern, which had been the scene of many social festivities burned to the ground in 1918.

Quaker Neck
Mannington Township At the time of the Revolutionary War, all that land between the branch of Fenwick Creek, called the Stone Bridge and Keasbey Creek on the Salem boundary line was known as “The Neck” or Quaker Neck. It comprised about 2,000 acres. The land was heavily timbered and was long referred to as Wynkoop’s Woods. Benjamin Wynkoop was a British sympathizer, and through fear that his property might be confiscated, offered it for sale.

Quinton Township – One of the early settlers in the county was Tobias Quinton, a large landowner, from whom some say the village and township of Quinton derived the name. Other sources say it was Edward Quinton. Quinton’s Bridge on Alloway Creek was the scene of a Revolutionary encounter in which Captain Andrew Bacon and Captain William Smith played heroic parts. The town was the site of Quinton Glass Works, which operated from 1863 to 1906. The canning industry also flourished here.

Alloway Township – On Carlisle Run, one mile southeast of Alloway, This hamlet, now entirely gone, was the site of an early grist mill and a few dwellings. The mill was built by Richard Wistar, who sold it to William Craig, who was in possession for many years, during which time it was known as Craig’s Mill. It then passed into the hands of George Remster. A distillery, built about 1870 was in operation for a time.

Called New Salem by John Fenwick because Salem means peace. The city was established on June 25, 1676 and incorporated as the City of Salem in 1858. . It was set to have 42 purchasers of 16 acre plots. A 90’ wide street (West Broadway) was laid out from Salem Creek and intersected another Street that began at Fenwick Creek (Market Street). East Broadway was then called Wharf St. and Market was Bridge Street. The extension of Wharf Street was called Fenwick St., now East Broadway. Front Street was first known as Mill Street, and was opened about the time of the Penn’s Neck Bridge was built in 1810. Before that time a ferry connected Salem and Penns Neck with the terminus at Supawna. Star Corner or Star Hall Corner: Previous to 1850, the corner of Bridge and Old Wharf St (Market and Broadway) was called Jones Corner. There was a clothing store on Market St. in Philadelphia, owned by S. Ashton, who displayed a large star as a sign. This “star man” as he advertised himself, came to Salem and leased part of the Jones store on the corner. After making changes to the building he erected a flag-pole and hung out the star sign. From that time on it has been called Star Corner. The foot of Market St. was a busy spot containing stores, warehouses, tailor shops, shoe shops, and other business establishments. Ivy Point, the home of John Fenwick, stood nearby on Fenwick Creek. Among the less dignified names in Salem – an area of Lower 5th St. was at one time called Yellow Hell; and Murderer’s Row was a line of boat houses along Fenwick Creek at the foot of the Salem Glass Works (now Anchor Hocking)

Sapawna (Sapaney, Sappaen Mararonte)
Various spellings – Lower Penn’s Neck Township. Six years before Fenwick’s arrival, 300 acres were purchased on the east side of the Delaware called Sappaen Maronte, on Verckens Kil (Salem River). “1669, April 3. License to purchase 300 acres of Indian land on the eastside of the Delaware granted to Mychgyel Baron.” In 1676, John Fenwick gave to his daughter, Elizabeth Adams and husband John, “all that tract of land in Penn’s Neck known as Sapaney.”

Pilesgrove Township. On the King’s Highway was once the principal place of business in Pilesgrove. It was on the stage route to Camden or Cooper’s Ferry, and in addition to two taverns, contained several stores, wheelwright and blacksmith shops. Harness shop and a shoemaker. The village was formerly called Blessington, after the plantation of the same name – the home of Isaac Sharp.

Silver Lake
Lower Alloway Creek Township. A road to the right below Harmersville leads to the Silver Lake district of marshes and streams. Here are to be found some interesting old stones, supposed to be survey or boundary stones, dated 1689 and 1690.

Sinnickson’s Landing
Elsinboro Township – this group of homes and cottages along the Salem River bank is located on property once owned by John H. Sinnickson, for which the settlement was probably named. At one time a railway for building and repairing boats was maintained in this vicinity, the foundations of which were dug up in 1927

Much doubt seems to exist as the exact location of Smithfield (Smythfield) the plantation of John Smith and his wife Martha Smith who came with John Fenwick on the “Griffin” in 1675. Records of two deeds exist both dated in 1675. One from Fenwick to John Smith, mealman (miller) for a tract of 1,000 acres in West Jersey and another from John Edridge of England 1,000 acres to John Smith in Fenwick’s Colony. Some believe it must have been somewhere near Quinton and that Smithfield Street took its name from the plantation. John Smith lived to be 107 years old. In the year 1730, his grand-daughter, Elizabeth Smith Hall, wrote on the margin of the family Bible: “This day John Smith is 106 years old.” He was born in Diss, County of Norfolk, England, July 26, 1623

Stow Creek
Stow or Stowe Creek is the dividing line between Salem and Cumberland Counties, and in Colonial days was an important waterway. Early names were Unknown Creek and Mattocks Creek

Telegraph Road
Alloway Township, running between Alloway and Marlboro. There is evidence that a telegraph line ran along this road around 1860. It was early the scene of much activity, being the site of Blackwood’s Mill, House’s Mill and lake, and Hazelhurst pond (now Paradise Lake). Near this road was also to be found Loggerhead Hill and the floating islands in the swamp near Hazelhurst.

Elsinboro Township. On Salem-Hancock’s Bridge road. The Thunderbolt tract, in older days, consisted of 100 acres of woodland, joining the Amwelbury tract, and was owned by Alexander Grant. Through the woods on the right of the road was Kildeer Run. To the left, Thunderbolt race track was established and completed in 1869. It was conducted by David and Frank Kelty at the time.

Elsinboro Township. This section of marsh and swamp borders on Salem River at the outskirts of Salem City. At one point in the 1950’s or 60’s land was blown in from the river in hopes of creating home sites. No record of the origin of the name Tilbury has been found. An 1818 survey map shows the bounds of H.O. Johnson’s Tilbury Meadows.

Townships of Salem County
Salem County was originally divided into the following: Elsinboro (spelled various ways); East Fenwick (now Mannington); West Fenwick (later Penn’s Neck and Oldman’s; Pilesgrove Precinct (included both the Pittsgroves); Monmouth Precinct (territory now included in Alloway, Lower Alloway Creek and Quinton); Salem Towne

Trap Causeway
The only route to Penn’s Neck prior to 1810 was when the Penn’s Neck bridge was built was either by ferry to Supawna, in Lower Penn’s Neck, or by the Trap Causeway in Mannington. After crossing the creek to Claysville, traffic bound for Penn’s Neck turned to the left out Tide Mill Road (road from Claysville to Sharptown) crossed over a wooden bridge at what was called the Trap Causeway, where stood a well-patronized and somewhat notorious inn.

White’s Vineyard
Mannington Township. Mary White was John Fenwick’s house-keeper, and came with him and his family on the “Griffin” in 1675. In 1683 Fenwick gave the “spinster” Mary White 500 acres at Fenwick’s Grove Neck, on Fenwick’s River and Fenwick’s Grove Creek, later he bequeathed the 500 acres next to it to his grandson Walter Adams.

Windham and Windham Creek
Elsinboro Township Historians disagree on the arrival of Robert Windham although an early passenger list shows him as having arrived on the “Griffin.” Some think he was a survivor of the New Haven Colony. He is said to have lived in Elsinboro and left one daughter Ann, who married Richard Darkin. The section called Windham appears first in the records in 1680 as an assignment by William Malster, of Windham Township of New Salem, West Jersey.

Alloway Township. Also called “Glass House Farm” Two miles northeast of Alloway on Commissioner’s Pike, is the site of the first successful glass factory in the original colonies. In 1738 Casper Wistar of Philadelphia (originally from Hilspach, Prussia) purchased of Amos Penton 100 acres of land bordering on a branch of Alloway Creek, on which tract he erected a factory, a general store, worker’s dwellings, and a mansion house. It was situated on what was then called “the great road to Pilesgrove.” The factory manufactured window glass, various kinds of bottles and flasks, pitchers, plates, sweetmeat jars, and other useful items. Fancy glass horns were also made and given as souvenirs to the then popular sleighing parties. Not a vestige of this once busy industry is now in evidence.

Quinton Township. The lake on Jericho Road has had several names – Easterville; Chandler’s Mill; Wood’s Upper Mill; at one time Elkinton’s Pond and then Woodmere. A grist mill was built in 1740 and called Chandler’s Mill until purchased by John S. Wood, when it became known as Wood’s Upper Mill. His daughter, Adeline, married Thomas Sinnickson and their children John and Mary inherited the property. Upon the death of her brother, Mary became the sole owner of Wood’s Upper Mill and the one at Jericho. Both of these mills were burned on the same night January 7, 1899. Wood’s Upper Mill property finally passed to the ownership of a group of Salem residents, who erected summer cottages and gave the name of Woodmere to the area.

Pilesgrove Township In 1797 called Woodsboro. The town was named, it is said, for Jaconias Wood, who built the first house there. The village was incorporated as a borough in 1882. In earlier times it contained a woolen mill; a tannery; wheelwright shops; canneries; a cabinetmaker; and a locally famous clock-maker – George Hollinshead. The Pilesgrove Friends Meeting House was erected around 1726.

Pilesgrove Township. This village was named in honor of Judge T. Jones Yorke. In earlier times the vicinity was an important railroad stop. It contained two stores, a church, a school, a hotel, a blacksmith and wheelwright shop, a tomato cannery and the tile manufactory of Halnes & Sons.

Cape May County
Was separated out in 1692 and named for Captain Cornelius Jacobson Mey of the East India Company who found it in 1683. No information was available regarding the change in spelling.

Cumberland County
It was part of Fenwick’s Colony and Salem County until 1747 It was separated out by Governor Belcher so it could have its own court and named out of respect for the Duke of Cumberland.